Two weeks ago, at the Unitarian Universalist Association’s annual business meeting, General Assembly, the new UUA social justice statements were passed. The new four year study cycle–Congregational Study/Action Issue (CSAI)–was passed along with five new Actions of Immediate Witness (AIW).
The AIWs along with the new CSAI will give both the UUA and its member congregations insight into which social justice projects have been given higher priority by the delegates of the General Assembly.
This year, we passed a new CSAI on Ethical Eating. For the next four years, the UUA and its member congregations will be studying how our eating choices affect our bodies, our communities and our world. Questions of environmental toll, resource distribution, health and diet, and economic impact of globalized food economies will undoubtedly be asked. This topic was overwhelmingly passed by the member delegates and was endorsed by UUs for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, UUs for A Just Economic Community and the Youth and Young Adult Caucuses.
This year, six new Actions of Immediate Witness were passed. These AIWs will help guide our public and internal policy for the next year. They are:
- End Present Day Slavery in the Fields– Hot on the tail of our success working with the Coalition of Immokolee Workers (CIW), this AIW encourages congregations to work with the CIW and other organizations to make sure our farm workers are treated fairly and justly.
- Extend the Tax Credit for Wind and Solar Power– This AIW calls on Congress and State Legislators to extend tax credits for alternative and renewable energies. For more information on how UUs work for the Earth, please visit the UU Ministries for the Earth.
- Oppose a U.S. Attack on Iran– In a change from our 2002-2007 AIWs concerning Iraq, this strives to prevent a new and short-sighted war with Iran. Click here to learn how to prevent legislation that would cause a war with Iran and click here to learn how to support more diplomacy with the Iranian Government.
- Oppose the Florida and California Marriage Protection Initiatives– This AIW calls on residents of all states, particularly California and Florida, to oppose legislation that would amend state constitutions to define marriage as between one man and one woman. For more thoughts on Marriage Equality from the Advocacy and Witness Team, please click here.
- Raise the Federal Minimum Wage to $10 in 2010– This AIW encourages congregations to work with Let Justice Roll and other organizations to increase the Federal Minimum Wage to a living wage within the next two years.
- Single Payer Health Care– This AIW calls on all UU congregations to be informed advocates for a Federal Single Payer Universal Health Care System.
The new CSAI and AIWs will be important in the coming year to make sure we all work in a unified and effective community for our common dreams. For more information on these and past social justice statements please visit http://www.uua.org/socialjustice/socialjustice/index.php.