Community members of Phoenix, Arizona, and allies across the country are speaking out to hold local Sheriff Joe Arpaio accountable for racial profiling and mistreatment of immigrants. Watch the video below for more information about Sheriff Joe, and then sign the petition for a federal investigation. Below the video, learn more about how UUs have responded and what you can do.
SIGN THE PETITION – www.SheriffJoeMustGo.com
Find more ways to support Phoenix and get involved in your own community by visiting the 287(g)/Arpaio Action Page.
How Unitarian Universalists have been involved . . . .
- Rev. Susan Frederick-Gray of Unitarian Universalist Congregation of Phoenix wrote a Call to Action inviting UUs in Phoenix and across the country to support the campaign in Phoenix and find ways to get involved in their own communities.
- More than one hundred and ten UUs (and probably many more we don’t know about) signed the petition for a federal investigation.
- The Washington Office published a front page article on UUA.org called, Honor Thy Neighbor: Speak Out Against Sheriff Arpaio and 287(g) Agreements, which describes Sheriff Arpaio’s abuse of his authority and what people can do to support communities speaking out in Phoenix.
- Five Arizona UU ministers, including Rev. Diane Dowgiert of Tucson, Rev. Dr. Walter F. Wieder, lay minister Thomas A. Thode, Pacific Southwest District Executive Rev. Dr. Ken Brown, and Rev. Susan Frederick-Gray signed a letter to Napolitano calling for the rescindment of the 287(g) agreement that empowers Arpaio. The Social Action Committee of the Unitarian Universalist Congregation of Phoenix, the Social Action Committee of Arlington Street Church in Boston, and the Latin America Taskforce Network of River Road Unitarian Universalist Congregation in Bethesda, Maryland, also signed.
- UU blogger David Neiwert posted an alert on his blog Orcinus as did the Unitarian Universalist Peace Ministry Network.
- Many Arizona UUs and others plan to participate in the rally to hold Sheriff Arpaio accountable in Phoenix this Saturday. If traveling to Phoenix from outside of Phoenix, email George Paul at gpauk [at] earthlink [dot] net to connect with area UUs. If you attend, please share your pictures and stories with us!
- This is hardly an exhaustive list. If your congregation has done something to stand in solidarity with Phoenix that you don’t see on this list, please let us know so we can add it by sending an email to la_racialjustice [at] uua [dot] org.
Comments are closed.